We’re Running …
Because We Can!
2018 Eversource Hartford Marathon
(5K, Relay, Half Marathon, Marathon)
When someone faces a health crisis,
there are so many things they can’t do.
Because We Can, we will train and run
to raise money and hope
for those who can’t.
We are excited to form the Because We Can Eversource Hartford Marathon training team again this year to raise money to provide families with the healing meals and support they need when they are in a health crisis. Click HERE for a flyer you can download and share with those who might want to join our team.
In addition to runners and walkers, we are looking for community partners to sponsor our Eversource Hartford Marathon Training Team. With your help, we nourish our neighbors, empower our youth, and raise awareness for the life-changing benefits of quality food and exercise. Those interested in becoming sponsors can learn more HERE.
Every year in Connecticut, over 26,000 men, women, and children are diagnosed with cancer and several thousand more are fighting for their lives as they face other critical conditions. It’s at this time that healing foods and support are needed most but many don’t have these resources, which is overwhelming for them and their families! Healing Meals was created to provide 100% organic meals, prepared by youth chefs and chock full of nutrition and love for deeper healing for the whole family.
Our objective is to co-create a team of 150 walkers and runners with you – our former clients, patients, volunteers, administrators, donors, and friends – to raise enough money through sponsorships to make 5,000 extra meals this year. Reaching our fundraising goal of $75,000 will serve 75 additional people for 14 weeks for free! Please consider sponsoring and/or joining us!
Whether you’ve never run or walked a race before, are a seasoned runner with many races under your belt, or somewhere in between, come together with us to give back to those in need. We will support you every step of the way!
New This Year:
- Family Fundraising. Three or more family members who would like to participate together can raise a minimum of $250.
- Walk it!: Not a runner? Walk it! There is an official 5k walk this year and strollers are allowed. Start recruiting your friends to come out and walk with us.
- Training options for every level: The remainder of our training runs will be with Fleet feet in West Hartford on Wednesday at 6:30 pm and Saturdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Fabulous T: As a thank you for your hard work and so that we can see all of you on race day, we have a great t-shirt for you!
- Packet pick up just got easier: Wouldn’t it be so much easier not to have to go to Hartford to pick up your official race bib? This year, we are offering to do it for you! You’ll just have to fill out a waiver by 10/1/18 and we’re on it. Here’s a link to the waiver: https://www.hartfordmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/running_event_waiver_form.pdf. Please drop if off at the Healing Meals Kitchen at Auerfarm in Bloomfield or mail it to Healing Meals Community Project P.O. Box 501 Simsbury, Ct 06070 by 10/1.
- Celebration dinner at Auerfarm in Bloomfield the night before the race on 10/12! You can pick up your packet and your Because We Can t-shirt while you enjoy a delicious dinner to fuel you for race day and celebrate your hard work. Some of our clients will be there to share inspiring stories of what this event means to them.
How to Join:
Registration is a two step process, first with Crowdrise then with the Hartford Marathon:
- Click on this link: REGISTER
- Click on SET UP YOUR FUNDRAISER
- Click on START YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER
- Create your fundraiser with your name in the title
- Add your picture and start fundraising!
- Click on this link: Hartford Marathon
- Register as an Individual
- On the Run For a Charity page, scroll down to the bottom and click on Next
- When asked for a promotional discount code enter: HEALINGMEALS18 (PLEASE NOTE: CODE for $5 OFF IS GOOD THROUGH SEPTEMBER 14!)
- Stay tuned to your email for other event details about our training fun runs, fundraising tips and injury prevention advice.
- Invite your friends, family and colleagues to join our team!
When you join the Healing Meals Because We Can Eversource Hartford Marathon Team, you will receive:
- A training plan for running the 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon or Marathon Relay
- Newsletter with event updates and logistics for the race
- Training runs with Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine staff and guest experts who will provide expertise in nutrition, fitness, form, endurance, recovery, and more
- A CrowdRise fundraising page to easily raise online donations
- A free T-shirt
- Pre-race dinner and celebration at Auer Farm in Bloomfield on Friday, October 12
- Race day location to hang out with the other members of our team
- A supportive community to cheer you on and help you meet your fitness and fundraising objectives
- A deep sense of pride that you are helping members of your community
Please join us or consider making a donation to our team!
We look forward to making a difference with you this year! Because We Can.