Full time, Salaried, Exempt
Founded in 2016, Healing Meals Community Project (HMCP) works to build healthy communities by restoring fresh, whole and organic food to its place as the foundation of health and by connecting people in heart-centered ways to themselves, others and the earth.
HMCP provides nourishing organic meals, nutrition education and caring support to people facing serious illness. Meals are prepared by teens alongside adult volunteers who learn about growing, cooking and eating healthy whole foods and the connection between diet and health; develop life and work-ready skills; and discover their power to make a difference. The Healing Meals Program improves healthy eating behaviors among clients, teens and adult volunteers and educates the whole community about the link between healthy eating and the health of both people and planet. It also strengthens the social fabric of the community, another factor that is at the root of health.
Reporting to the Program Officer, the Executive Chef (EC) is responsible for the smooth running of the HMCP kitchen and the preparation and packaging of beautiful, delicious, and nourishing meals in a safe, professional and loving way. The EC works to support the full engagement of our adult volunteers and teen chefs and to maximize their opportunities for learning and professional development by creating a consistent environment and practices in the HMCP kitchen. She/he is responsible for ensuring that HMCP Operating Guidelines are integrated consistently within the daily life of the kitchen. The EC is responsible for the procurement of all ingredients and supplies necessary to support all Healing Meals Programs to accomplish each day’s cooking, as well as packaging, with ease and efficiency. The EC goal is to have the ingredients we use be the most healing for both the clients and the planet. A top priority of this role is procuring food that is organic, local and with a minimal amount of packaging. She/he is responsible for the administrative support of the Meals Program.
- Knowledge and ability to scale kitchen operations to accommodate ongoing growth and demand.
- Source the highest quality food possible with a commitment to local, organic and sustainably produced and packaged items.
- Manage procurement of produce/food/kitchen supplies to ensure successful meal program weekly
- Manage kitchen budget
- Manage all kitchen shifts with support from kitchen assistants to prepare and package meals each week.
- Utilize recipe management system
- Collaborate with the events team.
- Manage inventory of all food and supplies for the meal program.
- Lead all shifts in the kitchen to:
- Provide consistency across all shifts in food safety and sanitation practices and in cooking practices and food quality.
- Ensure that all meals leaving the kitchen are beautiful, delicious, and nutritious, have proper servings and are clearly and accurately marked for delivery.
- Provide appropriate support and culinary/safety training for staff and volunteers
- Work with Adult Mentors to assure positive outcomes on each shift.
- Manage seasonal menu
- Coordinate with Client Manager and Program Manager to ensure that all client and meal information is accurate and current.
- Review menu with RDN for nutritional requirements
- Coordinate weekly cleaning and monthly deep cleaning of the kitchen.
- In collaboration with all HMCP staff ensure that the volunteer experience of adult and youth volunteers supports the richest and most empowering experience possible.
Specific skills or training desired:
- A commitment to HMCP’s Mission and Operating Principles (Team Aspirations)
- At least 3 years of professional cooking experience, preferably in the whole foods arena
- Experience managing kitchen operations for large events
- Strong capacity for mentoring and teaching
- Experience working with teens and in youth development
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Ability to stay calm and keep your sense of humor in a face-paced environment
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite and SalesForce
- Have a good awareness of self
- Ability and desire to be in a work environment that values teamwork, relationships and giving and receiving honest feedback.